Andrew C. Porter is a Chambers-recognized trial lawyer and former federal prosecutor who focuses his practice on white collar criminal defense, internal investigations, and complex commercial litigation matters involving high-stakes disputes about trade secrets, fraud, breach of contract, and director and officer liability. Andrew’s clients range from indigent criminal defendants to senior executives, public institutions, and businesses. Andrew has tried almost 35 federal and state jury trials, and he brings an aggressive, high-energy approach to his preparation—from the beginning of the investigation to the closing argument.
Criminal Defense & Investigations
Andrew’s experience as an Assistant United States Attorney informs his defense strategies and is invaluable to his work conducting internal investigations. He is meticulous in getting ahead of the prosecution by learning all the relevant facts about clients’ business, associates, and issues and then successfully advocating for his client at every stage of the proceeding. Andrew has recently represented individual executives and companies in matters including Department of Justice investigations and internal investigations on issues such as education fraud, tax fraud, health-care fraud, bankruptcy fraud, ERISA fraud, environmental crimes, and immigration fraud. Since returning to private practice in 2014, some of Andrew’s representative matters include:
- Convinced the Department of Justice to forego prosecution in a tax-fraud investigation involving claimed unreported income of over $1,000,000.
- Convinced the Department of Justice to forego prosecution of an attorney in a wide-ranging fraud investigation.
- Successfully navigated multiple Department of Justice investigations without charges brought against dozens of individuals, including executives of a large speech, physical, and occupational therapy company investigated for health-care fraud; employees of a large private physicians’ office in Illinois; and a senior automotive engineer embroiled in the VW emissions scandal.
- Successfully represented a woman indicted on bank-fraud charges in the Eastern District of Wisconsin who faced trial in a matter that generated substantial media attention in Wisconsin. In the weeks before trial, the government agreed to dismiss all charges against Andrew’s client.
- Prevailed on all counts in a week-long bench trial representing a defendant facing multiple felonies.
- Served as a special prosecutor in the successful trial of an individual charged with conspiring to murder a state-court judge and a state prosecutor.
- Conducted multiple internal investigations for public and private entities, including for one of the largest food service companies in the world, a for-profit educational institution, and one of the largest community colleges in the country.
Civil Litigation Experience
Andrew represents companies and individuals in complex litigation matters throughout the country. Since returning to private practice in 2014, some of Andrew’s matters include:
- Served as lead trial lawyer in a more than $10M fraud action that settled immediately prior to trial.
- Served as lead trial lawyer in multiple trade secret, non-compete, breach of contract, and civil fraud actions across the United States, including an intellectual-property ownership case pending in the Eastern District of Michigan for a Fortune 500 company; a breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty action against a former College President in the Northern District of Illinois; a breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty action against senior executives of an educational institution; a breach of contract action against a global financial services and insurance firm in the Northern District of Illinois; a theft of trade secret / breach of non-compete action in New York state court; a breach of fiduciary duty and civil fraud action in the Northern District of Iowa; and a breach of fiduciary duty action against a privately held company and its high net worth owner in the Northern District of Illinois.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Experience
As an assistant U.S. attorney, Andrew investigated, prosecuted and supervised federal criminal cases, including racketeering, securities fraud, money laundering, health care fraud and violent crime. Andrew’s understanding of how the government builds its cases gives him the best possible insight to prepare a successful defense.
Andrew oversaw and trained dozens of assistant U.S. attorneys on the successful investigation and prosecution of more than 1,000 defendants. He also served as the U.S. attorney’s office gang coordinator, overseeing gang investigations and collaborating with state and federal law enforcement partners to tackle gang-related crime. This work required leadership skills, sensitive communication, thorough investigations, and the cultivation of relationships with people from all walks of life.
Andrew is a member of the Illinois Bar, the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, Northern District of Illinois, Northern District of Illinois trial bar, Eastern District of Michigan, Northern District of Iowa, Western District of Texas, and Eastern District of Wisconsin.