Jennifer B. Salvatore
With exceptional judgment and compassionate, client-centered advocacy, Jennifer Salvatore is respected as both a formidable adversary and a skilled negotiator able to steer difficult matters towards successful resolution. An AV-rated lawyer (the highest Martindale Hubble peer review ranking for ethics and legal ability), Jennifer practices in the areas of employment, civil rights, and business litigation and represents a wide range of individuals in difficult employment transitions, including executives and other professionals in employment and contract disputes. Jennifer has a particular interest in sex discrimination cases, and has handled many high profile matters involving sex harassment and other gender issues. She also has a busy practice representing students, including in Title IX litigation and internal processes related to college sexual misconduct investigations.
Jennifer has a successful track record as a trial attorney, including achieving a $1.1 million verdict in the Western District of Michigan in a First Amendment retaliation case.
Prior to Salvatore Prescott & Porter, Jennifer was a Principal at Nacht, Roumel & Salvatore in Ann Arbor, where she handled employment and civil rights matters. She practiced for a number of years in the litigation department at Jenner & Block, LLP in Chicago, where her practice focused on complex commercial litigation in federal and state courts for Fortune 500 companies. And she was the first recipient of the Polikoff-Gautreaux fellowship at Business and Professional People for the Public Interest in Chicago, where she worked on public policy issues and impact litigation from 1999-2001.
Jennifer graduated with honors from Miami University (Ohio) with a B.A. in Political Science and Journalism. She received her J.D., cum laude, from The University of Michigan Law School.
Awards / Recognition
- Past President, Women Lawyers Association of Michigan (Washtenaw County)
- Officer, Labor and Employment Section of the State Bar of Michigan
- Leadership Council for the Labor and Employment Section of the State Bar of Michigan (2013-present)
- Top 25 Women Business Lawyers in Michigan (Super Lawyers – 2013-2017)
- Top 50 Women Lawyers in Michigan (Super Lawyers – 2013-2017)
- Crain’s Detroit Business & Hour Detroit, Top 50 Women Attorneys in Michigan, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Super Lawyer, 2010-present
- “Michigan Rising Star,” Super Lawyers Michigan (2009)
- Jean King Leadership Award from Women Lawyers Ass’n of Michigan (2013)
- Mary Foster Award for leadership in the profession, Women Lawyers Assn’ of Michigan (Washtenaw County) (2011)
- Polikoff Gautreaux Fellowship (1999-2001) – Public Interest Fellowship with Chicago’s Business & Professional People for the Public Interest (“BPI”), a nationally prominent law and policy center
- Ann Dee Harper Memorial Award from the National Immigrant Justice Center, Chicago (1999)
- Fellow of the Michigan State Bar Foundation
- Past Board member of the Women’s Center of Southeastern Michigan
- Personnel Committee for Safe House Center (Ann Arbor)
- Youth Soccer Coach (South Lyon Recreation Department)
- ACLU Cooperating Attorney
- ACLU Annual Dinner Committee (2014 & 2015)
Teaching / Speaking
Jennifer frequently speaks and writes on employment law, Title IX and other legal issues, with recent topics including the Americans with Disabilities Act; Family Responsibilities Discrimination; The Evolution of Sex and Gender Claims; Pregnancy Discrimination; Protecting Client Confidentiality in Litigation; and Issues Facing Low Income Workers. She has presented numerous times for the American Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Law Section, the State Bar of Michigan, the Institute for Continuing Legal Education, the National Employment Lawyers Association, and other groups. She has also done trainings for institutional clients and has lectured at Miami University, the University of Michigan Law School, and in the trial advocacy program at the University of Chicago Law School.
Jennifer is a member of the Bars of the states of Michigan and Illinois, the 6th and 7th Circuit Courts of Appeal, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan and the Northern District of Illinois.